Artis Royal Zoo is a great attraction to visit during your trip to Amsterdam with (or without) kids. There are only a few reasons to stop by this family-friendly attraction in town.
Imagine: A Zoo in the Heart of the City!
Artis Royal Zoo is an oasis in the heart of the city, established in 1838. Did you know that Artis Royal Zoo was the first zoo in the Netherlands? This Amsterdam zoo is located on the east side of the city center in the chic Plantagebuurt neighborhood. Like all Amsterdam attractions, Artis Royal Zoo is easily accessible by public transport.
Artis Zoo in Amsterdam – Photo courtesy of Anne de Bouk
More than 900 Animals
At Artis Royal Zoo, you can discover more than 200 trees and more than 900 species of animals. Animals such as giraffes and wild animals live together here. Visit the lions and other big cats, or watch the gorillas play in their huge home.
Stroll through beautiful gardens full of flowers in spring and fall. At Artis, you can even look under the water of the Amsterdam canal and study the planets and stars in the Planetarium.
Great for kids
Artis is very child friendly. The zoo has several playgrounds for children. You can relax under the trees and enjoy a cup of coffee while the kids enjoy playing. All over Artis you will find food carts that offer a nice refreshment or a hot drink in cold weather.
Park in Artis – Photo courtesy of Anne de Bouk
In the last few years, Artis Royal Zoo has completely renovated its premises and made many improvements to the animal houses. Throughout the attraction you will find beautiful 19th century architecture.
Other highlights of Artis
Artis is located in a beautiful park. There is so much to see and do for the city zoo. Some highlights?
– Aquarium: There is a historical aquarium where you can discover the diversity of life under water. Be sure to see the aquarium, which is a model of the Amsterdam canal. You will be surprised how many fish live in the water!
– Butterfly Pavilion: See the largest butterfly pavilion in the Netherlands, covering an area of 1000 square meters and home to thousands of butterflies.
– Planetarium: Watch one-of-a-kind movies in the curved, 628 square meter dome.
– Insectarium: Discover the large collection of insects at the Artis Royal Zoo.
– Historic buildings: Artis has magnificent listed monuments, many historic buildings and unusual gardens.
Perhaps the best souvenir to bring home from Amsterdam can be found at Artis Royal Zoo. Artis de Partis is the mascot of Artis!
Artis Royal Zoo is open every Saturday evening during the summer months. Be sure to check it out website for an up-to-date schedule with events and performances.